563476982

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Three of Us Went Camping--Me, Myself and I






















For a full week from August 27 to September 2 I enjoyed a glorious solo camping experience at Mt. Shasta. These pictures were taken by some nice Oregonians I met at Castle Lake where I spent a full day hiking the right side of the lake, eating lunch in my boat, swimming, journaling and reading until 7 p.m. I rented a kayak three times and covered Lake Siskiyou, swam, hiked the left side of the lake, hiked the Burr Trail and picnicked twice near Sisson Museum, walked the main street after shopping Trading Places dollar trunk, picked blackberries, was told a shortcut to the library over a meadow covered with fields of wild sweet peas using a wooden foot bridge, took walks in the campgrounds, read scriptures in my hammock, read the Ensign, Alaska, VIA magazine, played Scrabble by myself for the first time ever using Gypsy and Olie and found "OLIE" on my Olie rack, already spelled out! I prepared large campfires in the morning so all I had to do was light it after the movies at Bijou. I cooked and prepared my own food the night before I left on the 300-mile trip one way. Mt. Shasta Ward members were very happy to see me and I was happy to be there once again. I sang hymns every night around the huge, hot campfire and prayed, talked to Michael and even myself to keep me company. If there's a prettier place to be outdoors for a week I have yet to find it. On my last night I saw a UFO. I was staring at a star and suddenly it got big and very bright, then completely disappeared! Or can stars explode? I took the 3:30 tour of Shasta Dam in Redding wishing we had thought to stop there as a family. I stopped overnight at Con's in Citrus Heights arriving at 8 p.m. and left Saturday morning for a childhood friend's memorial service in Vacaville, barbeque and jam session as a celebration of life at the 7-1/2-acre ranch. Unpacking and swimming in Concord and relaxing at home was the culmination of a fabulous trip. I'm thankful and feel very blessed.










No comments: