563476982

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Casual Carpool


I don't know the exact date I first tried Casual Carpool but I remember feeling odd about opening a stranger's door. She said, "You must be brand new. Hop in." It was some seven years ago. I commuted with Michael part-way depending on his destination when we moved to the East Bay and soon I found out about Casual Carpool and he began dropping me there regularly saving me BART fare into the city. Paul and I commuted together when he had a job in the city and Adam and I for a short period. When Michael stopped working after his 56th birthday I parked at BART and took the train to Lafayette, across from the hill of crosses. I've been commuting with Al and Sue when I see them in line and several others on a first-name basis and conversations can be lively and interesting. Drivers have been Ed the elevator guy, Jovino, loquacious Paul, Donald, Alaska Joe, etc., etc. Al's job transferred to Vacaville and today is the last day of them commuting together and because of an unexpected ride to Lafayette I was able to ride with them. It felt historic and we all agreed: it's been a great ride together.

No comments: