563476982

Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Bible





BYU is opening an exhibit today celebrating 400 years of mankind having the Bible. I've read the entire Bible beginning when I was home sick once, in my 20s living alone in a studio on Sacramento Street, and started in Genesis. When I was a little girl and staying with my Aunty Joyce in Yelm, Washington, while Mother was in Alaska perhaps, I was promised a piece of candy if I memorized the books of the Bible. I got the candy. If the Bible were rated like movies it'd be rated R. Still, there are many wonderful events and passages and the Joseph Smith Translation clarifies errors. Basically, if a passage doesn't make sense it's probably incorrectly translated as written by the scribes. I grew up on Bible stories and we recited The Lord's Prayer before every trip. My favorite scripture is Doctrine and Covenants but I revere the Bible as the word of God.

No comments: