563476982

Monday, June 1, 2020

June 1, 1945, Topaz High School Class of 1945

I do not remember learning about Japanese Americans being rounded up after Japan bombed Pearl Harbor. I first remember being on the Presidio, San Francisco, and seeing a display. I was shocked. I have since read Manzanar and most recently Blossoms in the Desert, those graduates of high school in the Utah desert in barracks behind barbed wire fences. Do you know entire families shared horse stalls? I am appalled at the treatment of these Americans. In fact buttons were created for other Asians such as "I am Chinese." Reparations and a presidential apology came way late for the humiliated parents and mostly went to their children who now number few. I am so sorry and ashamed civil rights were taken away. The irony is being asked to serve in the military. And many did. I hope to God this never happens again to any group.

No comments: