563476982

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

"Olie?"





There I was in Oakland in line to board my flight to Salt Lake City. My full name is on my boarding pass and I hear my nickname whispered by a soft-spokened woman. I turn and look into the face of a lovely woman and also whisper, "Ellen?" We hug, I look at her, and hug her again. Some three plus decades had passed since we last saw each other and this is too good to be true. I had been to her wedding, she had been to mine in 1976. In fact I sold her a beautiful new ivory gown she wore as her wedding dress when she last visited me on Sacramento Street. Also, I had just had 10 inches cut from my hair and of course was not the brunette she once knew. But she recognized me telling me I look like a pinup girl and asked me to save her a seat. We catch up and have the best time all the way to Utah and I walk with her to get her luggage. She's there to see a new grandchild; I'm there for my oldest son's graduation from Brigham Young University. We had finally been in touch by phone and e-mail but had not met and there we were finally together again.



No comments: