563476982

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

How to Celebrate Independence Day




It really started off my weekend to see the second San Francisco Ethnic Dance Festival Friday, then Saturday night I danced to Diamond Dave and really got my groove on. It was a blast. I saw The Singing Flag which is so inspiring, patriotic, spiritual and entertaining Sunday evening. By Independence Day I was ready for a full day of fun events and celebrations. I crashed another ward's breakfast at our building and helped out with the chairs and setting up. The flag-raising ceremony was awesome with a brother's message of his love for this country and our profound blessings because we live here. Breakfast was delicious. I spent two hours there and made it to the Clayton parade in the nick of time around 10 a.m. and was there one hour. It's pure Americana with mostly Clayton kids and families. I love the village of Clayton and the statue in the grove has a little girl wearing a CTR ring. From there I made it to the second hour of the Concord parade, fantastic horses and entertainment. I was there until 2 p.m. enjoying a church's choir and band performing standards and classics, danced a set with the performing square dancers and had a good time. By then I was ready for a swim and did laps for 30 minutes and played in the pool another 30 minutes. Knowing I wasn't going to BBQ for myself but having decided to make a potato salad I offered to pay for some BBQ from a family who refused my money and said to me, "God bless you." I returned the blessing and was on my way home. By this time I've spent 30 minutes driving, I cooked for 30 minutes, and watched Independence Day for two hours. Granted, I'd be happier watching it without any bad language. I made my lunch for work before A Capitol Fourth started which just seems to get better each and every year. I was most surprised by Little Richard still performing and was glad that with stormy weather the day before it was clear. That was an hour and a half. By this time I was ready to hang my flag lights, bring in Old Glory, and watch surrounding communities explode their fireworks from the sidewalk. My neighbors are always on their roof, a family tradition. I decline their invitation to climb a ladder and get up a slanted roof in the dark. But I appreciate the offer. So after about a dozen hours of fun I'm thinking I can fall asleep but bombs keep exploding until after midnight. Still, I am grateful for the day and past memories flood my mind of my family's celebrations together over the years. God bless America!
http://www.pbs.org/capitolfourth/concert.html

No comments: