563476982

Saturday, July 9, 2011

A Campfire at John Muir National Historic Site





Last night I went to a campfire all because I noticed a Transcript at BART with a notice about it beginning at 7:30. With weather topping at 93* in Concord the evening was lovely with three park rangers and eight of us visitors enjoying guitar, singalongs, stories, and readings of John Muir himself in a redwood grove near plum trees we were allowed to pick. I filled my hat with as many as it would hold. We roasted marshmallows and participated in short skits and were encouraged to offer insights into the man. What a lovely and unique setting and evening. Thank you John Muir. What a life. The Sequel: Friday, August 5, on a lovely, warm summer night I attended my second campfire and enjoyed it so much under a half moon. I gathered plums and fallen pears, enjoyed eating four s'mores, listened with 15 other guests to two guitars and a ukulele, singing, readings (a few were the same stories as before), group songs, and I even shared my experiences of driving with Mother and Rosella to Washington and Ontario twice, seeing the 48 states, being asked to beg for food and walking on the slippery shale at Erie, getting money at general delivery, and seeing the last two states in '08 and '09. I'm glad I attended and this time saw it advertised online in Transcript. I love summer in the East Bay!

No comments: