563476982

Monday, September 11, 2017

Joe Nic laid to rest on Patriot Day, 9/11

Traffic was terrific both directions morning and mid-afternoon and without proper directions I had trouble finding the church. I arrived in time for the closing song and hurried to ask family members for a ride to Skylawn. I went with a nephew David and his son Andrew. It was unseasonably hot and humid overlooking the Pacific. I touched my fingers to my lips and then to his casket. I was dropped at the church so I could drive to the Nicoletti home nearby which Joe Nic designed himself and has lived since the 50s with Jo until her death after 65 years of marriage. Socializing and reminiscing was in a circle of chairs in the patio, moving a few times to avoid the hot sun. I enjoyed the pictures of the family, happy to meet the daughters and granddaughters. I was told more than once how glad they were I was there. There I was in the Nicoletti home, not having seen him in almost 40 years. I was even given a plate of food to take home. Leaving at 3:20 did not help one bit. The 114 miles I drove took me four hours. A sign on the freeway said 97*. I had a feeling it would be difficult but I wouldn't have missed the experience. What a good, kind man, my former boss at URS Blume.

No comments: