563476982

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

NYE Singles Dance After 30 Years


Some time in 1982, the year I married again, I went to my last singles dance. I had met Michael at a Halloween dance in Pacifica and got to know him better at the New Year's dance on the peninsula. That changed Saturday night by dressing up for the dance in Danville. The cultural hall was decorated beautifully, no expense spared, the music was good, lights were low, a few people were at tables. I recognized someone and we hugged. It's all about attitude. I had already made up my mind to have a good time and dance, so there I was dancing, just me and the balloons. Soon couples came out, more and more people arrived including some professional dancers and some seriously cute babes, and the night was underway. Many women complimented me on my dancing and tried to follow me on line dancing. It's fun when everyone on the floor is dancing new line steps. So if anyone wanted to dance with me they had to find me on the floor. There are circle groups when there are too many women and I'd get in the middle and dance. The varied food was delicious and people were happy and friendly. But who to kiss at midnight when the huge bag of balloons dropped and Auld Lang Syne played? Someone I had just met hugged me, then another. And I hugged others I knew and had danced with or we shook hands. It was a wonderful evening of dancing almost four hours and going home with sore feet. Happy New Year.

No comments: