563476982

Friday, July 2, 2010

Lavay Smith and Her Red Hot Skillet Lickers


Thursday, July 1, Lavay and her band performed free at Jessie Square. I danced there last year and also at Union Square when her band performed. I first saw the band perform in the Golden Gate Park and when I asked for a CD and I would mail in the check she agreed, and I did. So yesterday at 6 p.m. I joined in the dance lesson by professionals in a huge circle and was asked to dance once the music started by an older man and again at the end by him. He knew some serious and fun moves even if his timing was a bit off the beat. I was getting winded even though I'm a swimmer and walker and felt like begging for mercy, and I noticed he danced the entire concert. I told him he was in better shape than I am. I couldn't help but notice the couple dancing up the steps against the brick background of St. Patrick's looking straight out of All Creatures Great and Small what with their muted colors, caps and woolen scarves, he two heads taller than she. I enjoyed myself and was struck by the vast differences of people and ages yet all dancing with changing partners and all with wonderful smiles. Rock on Lavay. She brings the community together with a unique and San Francisco flair.

No comments: